Sunday, October 14, 2012

Two Weeks in Summary

These past two weeks have been filled with lots of different activities and plans! Starting this past weekend (while we were all in the Highlands), visitors started arriving from UW-Stout, Superior and River Falls. They were faculty from each of these schools who are coming to experience what the program is like. I gave them a tour of the house on Monday afternoon, and they were all extremely interested in the fact that my mom was the first one to study abroad through the Wisconsin in Scotland program back in Fall 1986! Since I had already given tours to the public on Doors Open Days (read about it here if you haven't already) all I had to do was slightly alter it to include more rooms throughout the house. I was able to show them the basement rooms, servery, study areas and lounges and then dorm areas. Most of the visitors were staying in the house for a few days at least, so they were able to experience what we do on a daily basis.
On Wednesday we went to Melrose Abbey and Bowhill Estate. Bowhill is another house owned by the Duke of Buccleuch, and the condition of it is more similar to it's original state than Dalkeith House. The wallpaper is original, although some of it is very faded. The furniture has worn quite a bit, and there are deep indents from people sitting on them. The house is currently used as a vacation house for the family, so there were rooms with flat screen TVs, which was a stark constrast between the old house! We got to tour a few rooms of the house and it made me feel like the visitors that came to Dalkeith House on Doors Open Day! It made me understand how lucky I am to be living, studying and working in such a wonderful place.
On Wednesday evening, we had a traditional Caledonian dinner. Everyone dressed up nicely (since we rarely get a chance to!) and we all got together to help out with putting it together, serving, assisting, and cleaning up. The staff and students all mingled in the dining hall while the food was being prepared. I was seated at a table along with the program director from 1992-1994, so it was interesting to hear all of his stories about what the program used to be versus what the program has become. He was also the most interested in hearing about my experience since my mom had been here before. He asked me all about my experience and how it was different from what I imagined after hearing my mom's stories. Before the meal started, we all sang Auld Lang Syne, which is a traditional song to sing here. Some of the students also participated in a traditional Scottish toast. First, the men toasted the women, and then the women responded with their toast. These were written prior to the dinner, something that is said before most special Scottish meals, so they didn't have to worry about saying something wrong. After the toasting, singing and laughing, the most traditional of all Scottish traditions was carried out...literally! Henry, who is the chef for the Wisconsin In Scotland program, brought out the haggis, dressed in a kilt. It was at this moment that I was overwhelmed with happiness. I truly felt Scottish. I felt like after 7 weeks of living here, I was finally accepted into the culture as one of their own. I was allowed to experience something that is reserved for only those who truly believe in their culture, and are proud to carry out it's traditions. This was the moment when I felt that not only am I American, I'm also Scottish. After the traditions were all performed, everyone was free to eat. We had mashed potatoes, stuffed tomatoes, gravy, meat (and in my case fake meat), and a delicious raspberry dessert (I ate it in your honor, Layne!). Afterwards, we were able to mingle with students, professors and staff about the program. I was also able to talk to the woman who started the host family program! She told me all about the first students she hosted and how much she loved being able to take part in such a wonderful program. As much as we've learned being here, she has also learned so much about America and our culture from us.
On Friday I was interviewed about my experience with the Wisconsin In Scotland program. I explained how I felt like not only does a study abroad experience help to build your professional career, it also helps enrich you as a person. I've learned so many things while I've been here, and one of the biggest things is that I'm able to figure out any problem. I've been here for more than two months, and I have not only learned about living in a different place, I have also learned more about myself. I'm able to do things on my own. I don't mean go to the movies or go shopping alone. I'm able to take on a new city with a positive attitude and not back down from that challenge. I conquered the busiest city in England at the busiest time of day, and was able to get around by myself on the tube when there were numerous closures. This isn't a skill that just anyone is able to achieve, and all this has made me so proud of myself. I'm independent for the first time in my life and it feels wonderful.
On Saturday we went to St. Andrews for the day. Although it's not that far away, the trek there and back is quite a long one! We had to take a bus from Dalkeith to Edinburgh, a train from Edinburgh to St. Andrews, and then another bus that took us into town. After all this, the total trip time was about two and a half hours. The weather cooperated with us for once, and it was an absolutely gorgeous fall day! The air was crisp and cool, the leaves were starting to turn colors and fall, so they crunched under your feet with every step, and the sun was beaming down happily. The weather was a stark difference than the ruins that we went to go see, though. Both St. Andrews castle and cathedral are almost completely demolished. It was a beautiful tragedy in every sense of the word. The city itself is full of life. There were people everywhere, whether they were shopping, golfing, or visiting the numerous tourist attractions. We also walked onto the pier, where we could see people and dogs playing on the beach. It was such a gorgeous day, and it was a wonderful chance to relax while taking in the sights of a beautiful beach.
As for the second week, it was mostly filled with astronomy! Since this was our last week before break started, we had to squeeze in a lot of information in a very short amount of time. We covered approximately 5 chapters in 4 days, which requires a lot of focus and very little sleep. By the time Thursday rolled around, I was definitely ready for break to start! We had our midterm on Monday and our final on Thursday night. We had lots of homework, and by class time on Thursday morning, I was literally sitting on the floor because I was so exhausted! Thankfully break was only one exam away!
With only 5 weeks remaining, I'm taking in as much as I can! I have lots of places and things to see over break, and I will report back with everything that I'm able to experience! I miss you all and can't wait to see you in November! Until then, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment